Pages

April 3, 2012

Superpower Day! #HAWMC Day 3 @wegohealth


Daily prompt: Superpower Day. When we think of a superhero, we imagine powerful characters standing up for those who are unable to. So, when you think about it – in a sense, Health Activists are superheroes! We each have an extraordinary talent. For the purpose of today’s prompt – feel free to draw upon what you consider your current talent to be....For today’s prompt write about your superpower and how you use it or would use it.


Ooooh, I love this one! Many people in my life know what a comic book, sci-fi, superhero freak fan I am. Hubby and I started a tradition of attending Comic Con International in San Diego a couple of years ago. Four days of super-powered energy. Talk about the power of a group (as I did in my Day 2 post). Comic Con provides the space for like-minded people to come together. The group stays together (in a sense) over this 4-day event and feel comfortable expressing themselves in ways they may not feel comfortable doing in other public arenas. You won't be seeing me in these costumes in public unless it's opening my front door to hand out treats at Halloween. :-) We work together (in a sense) to keep this dream weekend alive. We supportively comment on others' costumes, stand in line for hours to see panels from our favorite comics, tv shows, writers, etc.

Superman and Supergirl are by far my two most favorite of all superheroes. By nature, their 'human' side is kind, honest, loyal, - and seemingly normal from outward appearances. But when someone needs help, there's no hesitation in seizing opportunities to help those who are unable help themselves. Whether by "superhearing" cries for help or coming up on a situation where they can  rescue someone from a crisis or unfavorable situation, they have the necessary confidence in their powers and abilities to turn bad into good. The result of a hero's action may mean the "end" of a villain. From a health activist perspective, if the villain is poor eating habits, non-existent daily physical activity and/or lack of self-confidence and self-worth, a Superhero intervention can help you see the light. After all, villains are dark creatures with harmful spirits, clouding your ability to see the pathway that leads to positive changes in your physical and/or mental health.

While I think it would be egotistical to put myself in a Superhero category, I understand that being an inspiration to others can be hero-like to the people's lives you change. I think that's what my Superpower is - being an inspiration - and finding avenues to affect as many people as possible. When I realized the impact my lifestyle changes were having on my immediate circle of friends and family, I just knew I had to find a way to keep it going.

Providing space and opportunity for those who feel helpless when it comes to starting and sticking with a new lifestyle change is a great feeling. I know people coming into our running program have similar thoughts. "What am I doing here?", "Can I really do this?", "I want to achieve this goal but I don't know how to get started", "I have trouble with keeping myself motivated and I think this group will help keep me on track". This is where I and our leadership team come in. We understand the uncertainty; but never fear - the inspiration they're looking for is all around them. We are the heroes that stand by them, believe in their strength and determination, relish in their successes and new-found confidence, and keep close by in times of challenges...just in case those villains start creeping in. 

Not everyone in every situation needs a hero, but it's nice to know someone is looking out for your best interest; keeping you safe, caring about your quality of life, inspiring you to see yourself in a new, confident and self-loving light, and having your back in times of trouble. This is my gift as a health activist. To understand what you can offer others is recognizing your Superpower - and mine is inspiring others to see what they couldn't find in themselves. I'll end here with a quote from author Joseph Campbell that I think sums this post up nicely.

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself."
Joseph Campbell

No comments: