The last year or so has been full of so many life changes for me. Last April, I went for and was offered a promotion at work. I gained a huge team. Then the re-org'ing started and life became very very stressful. I've had 4 bosses in the last 12 months and changed departments just as many times. I thought I was going to lose my job every other week. I was able to keep up with my training schedule but blogging was feeling like a chore, not the fun, positive outlet it started out to be.
In February of 2012, I stopped eating dairy on regular basis. Hubby and I both went vegetarian the day after Thanksgiving in 2011. My final straw was a giant turkey leg at Disneyland on Thanksgiving. Eating animals just flat out stopped feeling "right"...although, I don't know if it ever felt "right" to me, looking back. Sure I wanted to stop eating meat in the 6th grade when I found out Michael Jackson was a vegetarian but that lasted all of about 6 hours, I'm sure.
As of today, I consider myself to be 85% vegan when it comes to food choices. I've gained 12 pounds in the process but I'm working on that. When you go from a diet of nutritionless, processed CRAP to eating real, whole foods, there is a calorie consideration. I would have never eaten as many nuts and oils before; opting instead for "fat free" processed crackers, chips or 100-calorie snack packs loaded with preservatives and not-so natural flavors. No more. I cook almost every meal at home from scratch. I bought a Blend Tec and even make my own ketchup and cashew cheese!
Some of my running accomplishments over these last 12 months have included:
|Me&Charlene- 2013 LAM|
- 2012 Nike Women's Marathon PR - 4:56
- 2012 Disneyland Half PR - 1:48!
- 2012 Say No To Drugs Universal Studios Backlot 10K - 1st place AG (2nd yr in a row!)
- First run streak - 50 Days! From 2012 Thanksgiving until our first night in Orlando, FL for the 2013 Goofy's Challenge at Disney World.
- Goofy's Challenge 2013
- Surf City Marathon PR - 4:50 - just 3 weeks after running Goofy
- LA Marathon PR -4:47 - my 3rd marathon in 62 days. I had the privilege of running with a great coach and friend Charlene (at FAB Running with Charlene). She helped me push harder in that last 5K than I thought I was capable of. We're planning on running 2014 LAM together and trying to qualify for Boston in the next couple of years so we can experience Boston together too! YES!!
- Marathon Maniacs Qualifier/Member - "Bronze Level - 3 in 90 days" - Disney World (1/13/13), Surf City (2/3/13), LA Marathon (3/17/13)
In other news, my handsome nephew graduated from high school AND we welcomed his new baby brother into our family just a few weeks prior!
Our Galloway group is still going strong and growing! Fewer things in life give me greater pleasure than helping people achieve their fitness and running goals. Here's a pic from our "Run For Boston" earlier this year:
So that it's in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to getting back to blogging regularly!