This is a link to all of the videos from our new team members. Congratulations to everyone who applied!!
And now of course on to the topic of week that everyone is talking about - BQ rule changes!!
I don't know about the rest of you, but even as I sit here today, not even close to running at a pace that would get me to Boston for 2012, I am feeling even more excited and challenged to be accepted for registration in the years to come. I agree it was time to re-think the registration process after an 8-hour sellout registration period this year. It's not a U2 concert!!! ;-)
My goal has to been to BQ by 2013. Prior to yesterday's announcement from the BAA, my BQ time would have been 3:50 as I turn 40 in 2013. According to the new rules, I will now have to finish in 3:45, and even with that time, my chances of getting in on Day 1 are slim as only the fastest applicants (qualifying time is at least 20 minutes faster than the minimum BQ time) will be allowed to register first. Two days later, those who qualified with times 10 minutes faster than the minimum will be allowed to register, and so forth. The specifics are below.
In the meantime, I am READY for this challenge. It means I get to run more, set new goals - I will get there, there's no doubt about it. The new rules just make acceptance even sweeter!
Are YOU ready for this change? How will the new rules affect your training and/or goals - or do they?
2012 rolling registration dates
- Day 1 (Sept. 12) - Qualifiers who have met their age and gender qualifying standard (3 hours, 10 minutes for men aged 18-34 and 3 hours, 40 minutes for women 18-34) by a margin of 20 minutes or faster may apply for the marathon.
- Day 3 (Sept. 14) - Qualifiers who have met the standard set for their age/gender by a margin of 10 minutes or faster may apply.
- Day 5 (Sept. 16) - Qualifiers who have met their age/gender qualifying time by a margin of 5 minutes or faster may apply.
- Day 8 (Sept. 19) - Open to all qualifiers to register.
- Day 12 (Sept. 23) - Registration closes for qualified applicants. Registered qualifiers will be notified of their acceptance by Sept. 28.
For 2013, there are new qualifying times